If you know me then you would know I’m fond of chocolate cake and vanilla or chocolate genoise cake only. But I have always wanted to try baking a vanilla sponge cake to see whether my favorite cake can change but NO.. Despite the cake was decadent and brushed in amazing texture, I would still maintain my old favorites on top of my favorite cake lists. I have added lemon zests and juice to the cake to add some more flavour or in the hope that it might become my favorite. You have to try this recipe because it is easy to bake and this is the part I have loved the most about this Vanilla & Lemon Sponge Cake. Unlike other cakes, you don’t require too many extravagant ingredients or cake decorating skills.
It might not be as light and fluffy like other cakes, but this is what a sponge cake should be. Each bite is moist and packed with vanilla and lemon flavour. The perfect cake to bake if you are expecting families and friends for tea.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- 150g of all-purpose flour
- 50g granulated sugar (Quantity depends on your preferences)
- 4 eggs
- 15ml of milk
- 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zests
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1can (160ml) of coconut cream (Store into the refrigerator)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Into your mixer bowl, whisk on high speed the eggs and sugar until they become thick and almost while in colour.
2. Into a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, sift the dry ingredients into the batter in small batches, thus making sure to fold everything gently with a spatula until all dry ingredients is added. Add the milk, melted butter, lemon zests and juice into the batter, fold gently.
3. Line your round cake pan with parchment paper, without greasing the sides. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake until golden brown for 15-20minutes.
4. Once our from the oven, allow to cool down completely before brushing the coconut cream on top. The cake will absorb the coconut cream frosting, enabling the cake to have more flavour.